“Seeing York's work reminds me of the East Village, Basquiat. It's got a real street identity to it; he's definitely minding his subconscious side without a doubt.” -Stuart Comer, MOCA
Evan York - Artist's Reel:
About Evan York:
Born in NYC, Artist/Illustrator/Animator Evan York began his art career by displaying his paintings on cardboard and wood on the streets for people to collect - if they were willing to climb a telephone pole. Sizes of street art varied from 5 to 15 feet tall and were found around the world. Since 2000, York has spent two decades refining and developing his unique style, and establishing himself as an artist represented in private collections, solo and group gallery shows, as well as being commissioned for motion pictures and television productions. His favorite medium is ink on paper.
York’s latest installation, titled “The Connection of Everything” - a gigantic 102 foot- long landscape drawing - was recently exhibited at an art pop-up gallery on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles this summer. An article and interview about the piece will soon be published in Juxtapoz magazine (November / December 2017 issue).
York has also created, directed and animated over 50 hand-drawn animated short films. His work has appeared in several notable films and TV series, including THE GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO and the series CRIMINAL MINDS.
Additionally, York has sold exclusive hand-drawn t-shirts and sneakers to the global artist community, including Steven Tyler, Jane’s Addiction and Billy Idol. Original York designs have appeared on runways throughout Europe. York was also commissioned by Reebok to brand a new collection with his exclusive works of art.
Recent exhibition (Summer 2017) of “The Connection of Everything,” a 102 foot-long landscape drawing. A surrealistic blueprint reflection of York’s mind: thoughts and fears, past and present, scientific theories, dreams and nightmares.
Two animation projects in development with Warner Bros. and Film Tree Productions
- Pilot episode for Roddenberry Entertainment
- Animated TV pilot for CNN scheduled for broadcast
The Hive - group show 2015
DTLA Warehouse Studio - group show 2014
Last Book Store - group show 2013
Prohibition Gallery - group show 2013
Laurel Canyon Gallery - group show 2012
Pacific Design Center - group show 2012
House of Rock - group show 2012
Pacific Design Center - group show 2011
Eye Junk Studios - group show 2011
Golden Gopher DTLA - group show 2010
DTLA Warehouse Studio - group show 2009
• Barcelona - Commissioned work: Murals, canvases and hand-drawn clothing, street art - 2008
• Berlin - Commissioned work: Murals, canvases and hand-drawn clothing, street art, private show - 2007
• Amsterdam - Commissioned work: Murals, canvases and hand-drawn clothing, street art, private show - 2006
• Tokyo - Commissioned work: Murals, canvases and hand-drawn clothing, street art, private show - 2005
7 WEAKS (Writer/Director/Animator)
- Best Animated Short - Beverly Hills Film Festival 2010 - Best Animated Film - Paranormal Film Festival 2010
- Best Documentary Film - Newport Beach Film Festival 2008 - Documentary Award - Armenian Film Festival 2009
• THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (Sony Pictures, feature film) • CRIMINAL MINDS (ABC) (7 episodes)
• FRIGHT NIGHT (DreamWorks)
• NEED FOR SPEED (DreamWorks)
• TITUS (FOX)
• BILLY IDOL MTV concert (MTV)